1. How to choose a reliable Private Investigator/Private Detective?
Showing a potential client one’s past achievements and commendations alone is not enough. It does not indicate satisfactory services. Ask Investigators for their detailed plan that they will be executing for the amount of fees paid. Try to avoid accepting a “package” deal. Clarify what you would get for the fees paid. A Private Investigator must be licensed by the relevant authority.
2. What kind of evidence will be required in court?
We must have solid direct evidence, hearsay evidences are not admissible in court. Private Investigators should not manufacture or fabricate evidence. Illegally obtained evidences may not be admissible in court.
3.What are the evidences Private Investigators may produce in court?
Evidence of opinion
4. In what circumstances must we turn down our client's request?
We will turn down a clients’ requests if he/she instruct us to carry out any unethical activities or illegal operations. Clients engaging Private Investigators to carry out illegal operation can be charged for abetting which is a criminal offence. Singapore is a clean city. Our government and our criminal justice system is likewise clean and transparent. Private Investigators similarly must also be clean and transparent.
5. What are "Professional Ethics" in Private Investigation business?
Private Investigators must be discrete and maintain strict confidentiality of the client. Private Investigators must have integrity and loyalty to clients and must have business ethics.
6. Do you need to give the particulars of the person that you intend to investigate before you officially decide to engage the services of the company?
No, you don’t have to give any particulars of the person until you decide to engage the services of the company.
7. What is the difference between the Police and the Private Investigator?
Police and other law enforcement agents have the power to arrest and warrant to search premises. A Private Investigator only has the power of a private citizen and they cannot conduct any search in the premises without a search warrant. Private Investigators undertake civil cases and are specialisd in civil law but are not armed.
8. Do I need to take the particulars of the Private Investigators after making payment?
Yes, it is recommended so as to avoid future complications.
10. Do you record telephone-lines?
Office phone Yes, with the employer’s authorisation and consent
Own phone Yes, with owner’s consent
Other persons’ telephone line No
11. Do you practice Wire-tapping & Bugging or Spy ware?
12. Can we read the e-mail of another person without his/her consent?
No, it is considered as “Hacking” which is illegal.
13. What must Private Investigators always carry?
Private Investigators must always be equipped with:
Note Book / Pen
Foods & Drinks
ERP cash cards / translink card
14. How should I present myself when I'm meeting the Private Investigator for the first time?
Wear simple dressing and avoid wearing expensive and branded items. Private Investigators may over charge if they presume that you can afford to pay a higher price.
15. How much is the cost to hire a Private Investigator?
No fixed charges. It depends on a case to case basis. Private Investigators need to know the key elements of the case before they could quote you their charges.
16. What are illegal operations?
The following are illegal:
Tracing of mobile phone
Taking Video of the ‘act’ Section 509 of the penal code, whoever, intending to insult the modesty of any woman, or intrudes upon the privacy of such woman, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or fine, or both
17. What is surveillance?
Surveillance can be covert or overt. Overt surveillance can lead to complication. Covert surveillance is to discretely keep watch of a person or a place to establish the activities of the person or the place.
18. How do you carry out your investigation?
In our line of work, most Private Investigators simply follow the subject person and take video footage discreetly like Candid Camera. Our collection of information are usually obtained through communication and observation. Private Investigator’s investigations are client oriented. Client knows what they want, who, when, where and how to carry out the investigation.
OUR INVESTIGATION METHODS
Use of informants
THERE ARE TWO CATEGORIES OF INVESTIGATION
EVIDENCES WE PRODUCED IN COURT
Evidence of opinion
OUR INVESTIGATION PROCESS
Determine method of Investigation
Identify customer needs and expectations
Study job details
Gather and review available background information/data
Analyse available information
Consider options for method of investigation
Provide initial advice
Evaluate sources of investigation and develop intelligence for an investigation
Identify possible sources of information
Gather information from the sources identified
Understand information gathered
Develop investigation plan
Plan the implementation of an investigation
Make recommendations based on developed intelligence
Co-ordinate the implementation of an investigation
Brief operatives and others involved in an investigation
Minimise risk to self and others during investigation operations
Manage contingency plans
Gather information from witnesses (if applicable)
Plan work activities
Organise interview with witness
Conduct interview with witness
Conclude interview with
r investigation activities
Give evidence in court
Manage Private Investigation
Monitor investigation activities
Give evidence in court
19. How long the Private Investigator going to keep my information ?
The law requires the Private Investigators to keep all information for a period of three (3) years.
20. Do we need to pay the Private Investigator in full upon confirmation ?
No, you don’t need to pay in full for the services. But, when you decide to make a 50% deposit or partial payment for the services, the Private Investigators may partially work or perform 50% of the work and withhold information.
21. Why we must provide our identity to the Private Investigator upon confirmation of engagement ?
10 – (1) A licensed private investigation agency shall not accept any engagement to supply to any person the services of licenced private investigators employed by that licensed private investigation agency unless, in relation to each occasion on which licensed private investigation agency is engaged to provide such services, there is first obtained by the licensed private investigation agency :-
(a) the name and address of the person engaging those services and
(b) a copy of the person’s passport, identity card, such other document establishing the person’s identity as the licensing officer may specify in any particular case.
(2) Any licensed private investigation agency who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offrence and shall be liable of conviction to a fine not exceeding S$10,000.00 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both.
22. Are all Private Investigators in Singapore clean and transparent ?
Singapore is a clean city. Our government and our criminal justice system is likewise clean and transparent. Private Investigators in Singapore similarly must be clean and transparent.